Jul 14, 2017 0930 - 1630
Holiday Inn, Taunton (Just off J25 of the M5)
A range of informative and practical workshops offers opportunities for new and existing councillors to network and share experiences whilst gaining essential skills and knowledge to support their wide-ranging roles.
We are delighted to welcome Councillor Steve Jordan, Leader of Cheltenham Borough Council in the role of Chair of this event.
Member Development and Support Officers are welcome to attend afternoon workshops, following an officer network session scheduled during the morning.
To book your place and select your workshops, please download our special application form available from this link: Application form - Essential Skills 2017
Workshop content is available from this link: Workshop Content - Essential Skills 2017
This year's sessions include workshops for all participants in the morning, as well as a range of optional workshops to attend in the afternoon.
Sessions for all include:
- Examining the Role of the 21st Century Councillor: Dr Catherine Needham, University of Birmingham
- Question Time: Opportunity for participants to question a panel about the role of a councillor, their experiences and challenges
- Local Authority Governance and Decision Making: Bethan Evans, Bevan Brittan
Engagement Focus Workshops:
- Understanding Community Leadership
- Making Connections
- Working with Others in a Changing Political Context
Technology Focus Workshops:
- Community Engagement in Video
- Great Graphics - Great Campaigns
- Using Social Media: the Practicalities
Workshop facilitators include:
- Ann Reeder, Frontline Consulting
- Nicky Jackson, Government Communications Service
- Cllr Rosie Denham, Exeter City Council
email@example.com or call 01823 270101
“As a newly elected councillor, a considerable aid to being able to understand my new role”
“I found the event very useful as it was great to meet councillors from other regions in the South West and to share stories and advice”
“Presenters did an excellent job”
“Very comprehensive, clearly directed, very participatory”
Member Organisations: £45 for the full day including lunch
Non-Member Organisations: £95 for the full day including lunch
There are no discounts for multiple bookings.
(All prices subject to VAT)