HR and Employment Services
South West Councils has extensive experience of providing employment support.
Our team of professionally qualified and experienced specialists offer high quality independent Employment Advice free to member organisations including:
- Terms and Conditions for local government staff and school staff including teachers
- Day to day problematic employee relations
We also provide consultancy (at discounted rates to member organisations) on:
- Recruitment and Workforce Development including suport via pyschometric testing and 360° appraisal
- Job Evaluation / Pay and Grading
- Disciplinary and Grievance Investigations
- Pre-Tribunal Conciliation
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Conferences and Workshops
Our services are summarised in a leaflet which can be downloaded Leaflet.
Epaycheck: National Pay Benchmarking Service
A secure pay benchmarking facility, developed for the public sector by the public sector. Launched to local authorities across the country in 2012, the service has already attracted more than half of our councils to register for this data sharing service.
Epaycheck is delivered through a nationwide network of Regional Employers' Organisations who provide the front end service in their localities and actively work with their users to collect, monitor and quality assure the data available to report against.
Senior Pay Executive Summary
The executive summary of a review of chief executive and chief officer roles, released on 4th September, is available on our website. The full report to assist in decision-making, benchmarking, policy development and workforce planning will be available to Epaycheck subscribers shortly.
For more information on Epaycheck .....
South West Councils
South West Councils draws together local authority Leaders from the county, unitary and district councils in the South West, police, fire & rescue services and parish and town councils .
South West Councils was established in its current form in April 2011. The current Chairman is Cllr John Hart, Conservative Leader of Devon County Council.
To view the full membership of South West Councils click here.
The core function of South West Councils, supported by a small team of officers, is to
- Support member authorities as Employers, encouraging improved performance and capacity across the region through the provision of high quality HR advice and support, and sharing of accessible information and knowledge on a range of relevant issues.
- Assist member authorities and associate members to enhance capacity and service delivery through developmental activites for improved performance and efficiency.
- Support authorities in having a voice, built on consensus, of issues on national policy and funding working with national Local Government Group, when this is deemed appropriate by Members.
The full membership meets at least twice a year. There is also a Resource and Management Committee, which oversees day-to-day business and an Employers' Panel which acts as the Employers' side in joint work with Unions on Provincial Council.